Saturday 2 May 2015

[#WOW] Meet Gabbi from Humble & Maker

Gabbi is behind Humble and Maker which started life as homemade gifts. Gabbi is a wife to Nathan and only started Trading in 2014! Here is more about her business and why it is a #WOW story!



Can you tell us a little about yourself as a person? 
I have been married to Nathan for 6 years, and we share our city centre terrace house with our cat Izzy; an adorable bundle of fluff who thinks she is a human! I love to knit, though rarely make anything for myself! I make a mean brownie and aside from making, I'm happiest at the seaside or in the dance studio!

How did you first set up the business?
Friends started having kids, and I quickly fell into making homemade gifts to welcome them to the world. I also found that reconnecting with my creativity helped me relax and gave me a great sense of achievement. Having started a craft night with a group of girlfriends, I started thinking about one day having a space that the community could use to try their hand at making something new. This led on to setting up Humble & Maker, creating kits which provide all the materials and instructions that you need to make something gorgeous with confidence! The kits are supplemented with stitch tutorials and we have also added a selection of designer fabric to purchase by the meter.

How old is the business?
We just started trading in November 2014!

Did you ever think you’d be running your own business?
No - I always thought setting up businesses was something that someone else would do, but never me!

Where are you based? Do you have a shop or are you just online?
I run Humble & Maker from our Lancaster home, so our website is our main shop front. I am also fortunate enough to have some of our products in bricks and mortar stores in the centre of Lancaster and Morecambe; Fruits of the Lune, Lancaster and 13 The Warehouse, Morecambe.

What is the most popular product sales wise?
Our Baby Booties kit!




Everyone has a favourite product - what is yours?
The booties - they were the first kit developed and I will always have a soft spot for them!

What is your newest item / product?
3D printed cufflinks



What is the one thing people must know about your business?
We are big on reusing and reducing waste. Our completed products fit back inside the tubes ours kits come packaged in so you can give your finished item as a gift - our product label even doubles as a gift tag!

What is your proudest business achievement?

I can't believe where the business has come in such a short time, and being selected at one of Jacqueline's WOW winners (especially after just 1 tweet!) is pretty special!

What do you do when you aren’t working on the business?
Pilates, ballet or watch the latest series on Netflix!

What five words describe your business?
Crafty. Innovative. Eco-friendly. Great fun!

Any big plans for 2015 you can share?
Excited to be:

  • Adding to our range of designer fabric and 3D printed jewellery
  • Invited to exhibit in 1st Lancaster Comedy & Arts Show in May 
  • Trading at a couple of Craft Vintage events at Brockholes Nature Reserve, Preston
  • Exhibiting in our local gallery store, Ateria's winter 2015 show

How can we find out more about you:
Facebook:   facebook.com/humbleandmaker
Twitter:      @humbleandmaker 
Website:     humbleandmaker.com
Email:         gabbi@humbeandmaker.com      
Blog:           humbleandmaker.com/blog
Telephone: 01524 383887


Oh my goodness me! How blooming cute are those booties! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics