Saturday 9 May 2015

[#WOW] Meet Debbi from Vintage Headdresses

Today we welcome Debbi who got her #WOW for her Vintage Headdresses and I have to say they make me go WOW too! The idea for her business came when she was planning her own Wedding and was struggling to find unique headpieces with vintage touches. I'll pass you over to Debbi to tell you more.



Can you tell us a little about yourself as a person?
I am happily married to my childhood sweetheart, and we have a 20 year old black & white cat called Katy. I am passionate about travel, particularly to the South-West US, which is my favourite area of the world to visit. I love to hike, particularly on my local beach. I also love to read (mainly crime thrillers as an ex-lawyer!).

How did you first set up the business?
When planning my own wedding, I had struggled to find unique, beautiful and well-made headpieces with vintage touches. I had been making jewellery as a hobby for years so I decided to change my focus to creating one-off headpieces, incorporating carefully sourced authentic vintage pieces. I loved it so much I knew it was what I wanted to do for a living.

How old is the business?
5 years old

Did you ever think you’d be running your own business?
Actually no, not when I was younger! It's funny, but my parents were sole-traders and originally wanted me to follow in their footsteps selling children's wear, but I saw how how much hard work and long hours went into being self-employed, and chose to study law instead. However, after several years my heart just wasn't in it, and I learnt that I much prefer being creative and earning my living doing something that I am absolutely passionate about. The long hours fly by when you love what you do!

Where are you based? Do you have a shop or are you just online?
I live in Lossiemouth, on the beautiful Moray Coast in Scotland. I work from my home studio and retail online through both my website and my Etsy shop.

What is the most popular product sales wise?
In the past few years my Great Gatsby inspired headpieces have been incredibly popular. The shaping takes inspiration from the headpiece worn by Daisy in the recent film, but each one of mine is unique and created from authentic vintage pieces.




Everyone has a favourite product - what is yours?
I have a particular passion for the art deco era and love to source the most beautiful rare pieces from the 1920's - 1930's. My favourite headpieces are the ones I make from these intricate, highly detailed pieces.



What is your newest item / product?
Some of my latest headpiece designs include an intricate floral silver & gold hairvine, and a dramatic drape headpiece with sapphire blue accents.




What is the one thing people must know about your business?
Every design is a one-off piece, totally unique and never to be repeated. I love that when brides wear one of my headpieces - they know that they will never see the same one at another wedding; that it is completely unique and special to them.

What is your proudest business achievement?
I never forget what an honour it is when brides choose me to create their headpiece for one of the most special days in their lives. Receiving beautiful photos and wonderful "thank you's" from brides after their wedding will always be the very best part of my job - it never fails to make me proud of what I do.

What do you do when you aren’t working on the business?
I remain obsessive about jewellery making and am currently learning new silversmithing techniques for fine jewellery. I am also learning Latin American Spanish!

What five words describe your business?
Vintage, unique, creative, quality, love.

Any big plans for 2015 you can share?
I am planning to create more headpieces with touches of colour, as this is something that can really make a design come to life!

How can we find out more about you:
Email: info@vintageheaddresses.com



Oh my goodness I absolutely LOVE the hairvine (and I don't normally like gold!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics