Saturday 25 April 2015

[#WOW] Meet Emmeline from Emmeline Illustration

Meet Emmeline, a #WOW winner for her Illustrations - having got a BA (Hons) Illustration Degree, she went on to set up Emmeline Illustration - here she goes on to tell us more.



How did you first set up the business?
I graduated with a BA (Hons) Illustration degree from University College Falmouth in 2010, and felt incredibly determined to jump straight into running my own business as soon as I could, making the most of that momentum and excitement after graduation. I have worked incredibly hard since then and earned respect within the creative industries.

How old is the business?
I’ve been professionally illustrating for around four and a half years now, and I've worked on seven published picture books in that time!

Did you ever think you’d be running your own business?
I always knew I wanted to be an artist of some kind (although my old schoolwork does mention that I wanted to be a ballerina AND a firefighter too!).  During my Illustration Degree I learnt a lot about freelancing, and after some practical experience in meeting with clients and agents in London and New York I absolutely fell in love with it!

Where are you based? Do you have a shop or are you just online?
I live and work in the North West of England, near Chorley and the wonderfully creative Manchester! I work from my studio on commissions, although I do have an online shop for selling prints and you’ll find my work stocked in the likes of the V&A, Waterstones etc



What’s been your biggest commission?
The last year was a big one for commissions, one of the biggest being my latest picture book ‘The Lavender Blue Dress’ with Cargo Publishing and Aidan Moffat.  The book’s been featured on BBC Radio 4, The Guardian, The Scotsman as well as a whole army of blogs - and it was fantastic to attend the launch and Q&A at Waterstones Glasgow last November.  2014 also saw me illustrate a health feature for Tesco Living magazine with an audience of around 5 million readers and the release of my illustrated cover of a new edition of ‘What Katy Did’ with Egmont Publishing.



Everyone has a favourite piece of work, what’s yours?
My latest work always tends to be my favourite, and I really loved illustrating this poster for Draw North West (a Manchester based creative meetup I attend).




What is your newest piece of work?
I’m working on a few projects I can’t reveal just yet, but my latest published piece is this children’s art trail booklet for The Museum Of Wigan Life and Wigan Council. It was great fun to work on, I adore museums!



What is the one thing people must know about your business?
I create illustration for both children and adults.  I’ve often been described as a ‘children’s illustrator’ because I've worked a lot with picture book illustration, but honestly I more frequently work with businesses looking for branding or advertising, or illustration for magazines! I love working for all audiences, and I don't think enjoyment of the illustration is exclusive to either group!

What is your proudest business achievement?
It would be easy to say that my proudest achievements were some of the awards I’ve won (most recently IPSE’s 15 for 15 ‘Top UK Freelancer’ finalist, Best Arts & Culture Blog in the Blog North Awards and Design Week’s Rising Star Award finalist), but really it's just the fact that I’m still here powering through as self-employed.  It’s definitely a hostile industry and I’m incredibly proud that I have been able to navigate it!

What do you do when you aren’t working on the business?
I’ll admit that it can be tricky to switch off from a creative business, ideas pop up all the time (and the working hours are sporadic!), but in my time out I love playing unusual boardgames, walking through forests, watching great films and boxsets and spending time with brilliant people.

What five words describe your business?
Creative, emotive, narrative-driven, unusual and passionate.

Any big plans for 2015 you can share?
Between some commissioned branding/advertising work and a rather exciting book cover I’m working on, I’m currently illustrating a self-penned graphic novel and reworking an old picture book idea. So keep an eye out for updates on those!

I’m also looking to keep building up my blog with more product and service reviews as well as more creative/freelance advice articles!


How can we find out more about you:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/emmelinedraws
Twitter:    www.twitter.com/emmelinedraws
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/EmmelinePidgen/
Website:  www.emmelineillustration.com
Email:      hello@emmelineillustration.com
Blog:        www.emmelineillustration.blogspot.com
Shop:       www.emmelineillustration.mysupadupa.com


Reading through this, I could just imagine some gorgeously illustrated Wedding invites / stationery - how my head is never out of the business! But would be totally unique and personal to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics