Saturday 22 January 2011

{Supplier Spotlight} York Bride

Here we have Claire telling us all about her business York Bride.

1. In just a few sentences, could you describe your business?

York Bride, which is a combination of wedding planning services and an online wedding resource for local brides coupled with the exclusive York Bride Privilege Card. I would like to think my USP is the fact that its a local resource full of ideas and information for local couples (York and surrounding areas) and not another directory with lists of businesses out of reach. The site is still in its early stages but I am aiming for it to be a comprehensive, friendly and personal portal for couples to use. I will be meeting all suppliers and talking about there business so that couples get a feel for them and what they do. The York Bride Privilege Card is unique to York and aims to bring local independent businesses to the forefront for couples to use. The businesses are fantastic and are offering discounts and extras to both brides and grooms. This not only helps couples with their wedding budget but also supports local businesses which I feel very strongly about. York Bride will be spreading the word about top local wedding suppliers whom couples may not necessarily know about.

2. When did you set up York Bride up?

I have been a wedding planner since 2004 and also a makeup artist. The idea for York Bride came earlier in the year after thinking of ways to develop my wedding planning business. The majority of this year has been spent on research, designing my website, speaking to local suppliers and getting them on board the York Bride Privilege Card with the aim of launching the site in  January 2011!


3. How did York Bride Start?

I have been involved in the Wedding Industry since 2004 when I studied for a Diploma in Wedding Planning and set up my wedding planning business. From then I spent a few years working as a make-up artist, worked as an Editors Assistant on a local Wedding Magazine and as a Bridal Consultant in a dress boutique in York. I have a great passion for the industry and thoroughly enjoy sharing my ideas and recommendations with brides. Although I thoroughly enjoyed these jobs and they helped me increase my
knowledge and skills base it made me realise that I want to run my own business so made the time to make York Bride happen.


4. Why did you set up York Bride?

I wanted to go back to having my own business. I have 2 children and being able to call the shots and fit my family life is very important to me. I enjoy the challenge of setting up a business and the satisfaction I get from assisting couples with their plans is amazing. I also thrive on being able to make instant changes to the business, whether that means adapting something, adding something or even scrapping something. I currently still work part-time in a 'day job' as a teaching assistant to provide a regular income but my aim is to leave this to go full time with York Bride. I work from home outside my day job hours but would love to have my own studio to work from to allow me to be able to close the door and be at home.


5. How many employee's are there in York Bride and who are they?

Currently only me, although I do pull in help for wedding planning jobs if required, such as venue dressing etc. I am hoping by the end of 2011 to have another member of the team to allow me to take on more work.

6. How did you decide on your business name?

I am terrible with names, and even with my wedding planning business I went through so many! I was given advice to use my own name and other advice not to use my name. This time I wanted a name that would reflect exactly what my business is, something simple, stylish and self explanatory - so York Bride came to me one night at 2am! So far, everyone has loved the name because it says what it is. As the brand develops and grows I would like to develop to other areas such as Harrogate Bride, Leeds Bride
etc...watch this space.


7. What's the best thing about York Bride?

The fact that the wedding industry continues to change and develop and local businesses are sprouting all the time. I hope that my business will be able to introduce the York wedding scene to local couples to save them time on researching and more time to plan their big day. I also hope that suppliers will believe that York Bride is worth being a part of. I have plans to develop the supplier side of the business and for companies to gain further recognition for their contribution to the wedding industry.


8. What do you find most challenging about York Bride?

Time! I have so much I want to do and my mind goes in overdrive with all the plans I have and can get very frustrated not being able to do what I want, when I want. Its all about planning though, so I know that I will be able to do all the things I want but just not yet. Finances are also a struggle, with a very minimal start up budget I need to be creative in launching the site and getting York Bride out there. Fitting family, the day job and York Bride can sometimes be difficult but I have a very supportive husband!


9. What have been some of the greatest rewards from your business?

I am still in the early stages of York Bride, but so far the great comments and support from suppliers willing to join the York Bride Network for the York Bride Privilege Card has been amazing. I hope this continues with suppliers and also brides and grooms as the brand gets better awareness. The other great comments are for the website as I have had to create and design this myself due to lack of finances. I know its only a stepping stone but again I can get frustrated because I want an all singing, all dancing website but have to keep my feet on the ground and remember that one day I will get one- but just not yet!


10. What's the best thing York Bride give to its customers?

I can give my customers (bride and grooms) an honest, comprehensive site to help them with their wedding plans and hopefully save them some money from them using the privilege card. I want my site to be the first place local couples visit to assist them with planning their big day! I am also involved in B2B now which is new to me, and just hope that I can give suppliers the time and  coverage that they deserve and introduce them to couples which in turn will convert to bookings for them.


11. Do you have any top tips for choosing a Wedding Planner?

I know what makes me tick and I know that personally I couldnt imagine not working within the Wedding Industry. I have a real passion and drive to work in the industry even though it can be viewed as one of the trickiest industries to work in. It is a very competitive industry and with no ability to form a customer base as I need to attract new brides all the time. Top tips would be to think about what you are good at, what you like to do, the time that you need to pull it all together and also to maintain and grow the business. The wedding industry is not as glamorous as people think and it is hard work, but with great reward.


12. What three pieces of advice would you give to anyone who wants to run their own business?
  1. Be honest with yourself about who you are and what your skill base is. For instance, there is no point setting up as a wedding planner if you have no people skills, no time management skills and dont possess a creative bone in your body. Something's in fairness can be taught but you need strong core skills to get you started.
  2. Do your research - I spent a good 2 years studying and researching the local wedding market because I wanted to know everything to allow me to place myself in the market correctly. Dont just assume that your idea will work. Although I am strong believer in gut feeling you need to back this up with real work- you need to earn money for your time and effort.
  3. Do be ready to take the rough with the smooth. Its not always easy going, and yes you can plan for the 'black and white', its the grey areas that always throw you! Be prepared to stick with it, it can be a long hard slug but it is worth it.

13. Where can I find out more about York Bride?
Visit website http://www.yorkbride.co.uk/ or feel free to call Claire on 07928 185408.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics