Saturday 21 June 2014

Follow your Heart - 6 Years on

Every year the summer solstice – 21st June – is a really important date, because it is the day that I left full-time employment and started on the journey to become a photographer.

Today, it is 6 years since that day. The day my notice ran out – and I started on the journey to becoming who I am today.

Everyone has a story, of how they became to be who they are, whether that is a photographer, or any other type of business owner, it’s not an easy decision – but it is a decision nonetheless.
 
I read and hear about people who are leaving full time jobs, with a family to support and a mortgage to pay, and I think that I am lucky, that when I made the leap of faith, I was still at home with my parents – decided to get a part-time job as well and begin the journey – and the rest, they say, is history.

21st June 2008, I left Herbert Browns and the team in Castleford, to work part-time and work with another Photographer. By October 2009, I had set up Blue Lights Photography. By March 2010 I was a full time photographer.

So not only is it 6 years since I left working full time – this year I will also celebrate the business turning 5! And most people know in a small business, that is a big achievement.

I have people asking how I got to where I am today, and the same thing I can answer, by hard work, lots of tears, moments of stress, a big big rollercoaster and the support of my family, friends and customers who believe in me.

The choices I make, some people think are on a whim, but I always listen to my heart, and my gut feeling. And that is always how I have run the business.
I have met friends along the way, and lost friends along the way, because not everyone understands how hard and time-consuming it can be, especially in the early days where every spare little moment is spent making your dreams a reality.

Would I do it all over again to get to where I am today? Totally. Every single time.

I love my job and the support I get from everyone.

I won’t turn this into a long Oscar Speech – but thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way. The ones who have helped out – the ones who have pushed me – and the ones who have believed in me when things have been hard. It isn't just “my” business, everyone I’ve met along the way has had a hand of helping shape what it is today.

Thank You. X


No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics